When it comes to online marketing, getting people to your website is only half the battle; the other half is inspiring them to stick around.
The problem is that our attention spans are gradually becoming shorter; studies have shown that humans now have an attention span of just 8 seconds. (StatisticBrain.com)
The competition we face with audiences is fierce; an estimated 30 billion pieces of content are shared on Facebook alone each month, let alone all the other platforms out there for social media.
Every day we are bombarded with chunks and chunks of information from companies who are all fighting for our attention, and we simply don’t have the time or energy to sift through it all.
This is where video marketing comes in… Now, when video is mentioned, the immediate “How much is this going to cost me?”, which is a fair question, as when we are buying something we all want to know what the price tag is. But it’s important when it comes to video to think of video as an investment and that it will provide you with a return on investment (ROI).
If you are doubting the power of video or need to convince your boss, take a look at some statistcis below:
1. One minute of video is worth 1.8 million words (Forrester Research)
Why it matters: Video is far more cost effective and practical than your budget might lead you to believe, because they deliver your message faster and clearer as well as connect with your audience on a more personal level.
2. On average we watch 32 videos per month (Heehaw Digital)
Why it matters: It is quick, consise and we understand it because we’re human. We respond well to the human voice, music and moving images.
We remember 20% of what we see, 30% of what we hear, but an incredible 70% of what we hear and see at the same time.
3. 20% of people SHARE videos on their smart phone and 41% of people WATCH videos on their smart phone (PEW Centre)
Why it matters: The number of people sharing video content on their smart phones is rather low; this is because businesses aren’t making it easy to share their video content. So make sure when you upload your videos that they are easy for viewers to share with friends, family and collegues.
4. 58% of people who watch video online, watch it on social media platforms (PEW Centre)
Why it matters: Watching video is a social activity. When we see a video we have enjoyed on Facebook for example, we want to share it with our friends and family, which is easily achieved with Facebook. So, when uploading your video to the internet, be sure to upload it to your social media platforms as well as your website to achieve the largest possible audience.
5. 90% of communication transmitted to the human brain is VISUAL. Visuals are transmitted 60,000 times faster than text in our brains. (3M Corporation)
Why it matters: Video delivers your message far more effectivly than text. It will allow you to communicate to your audience and retain their attention in just a matter of minutes.
6. Photos are ‘LIKED’ 2 times more than text updates on social media and videos are hared 12 times more than links and text updates combined. (Sprout Social)
Why it matters: Videos that are engaging will generate free, meaningful marketing to your potential customers.
7. ‘Dollar Shave Club’s viral video generated 12,000 new sign-ups on the comapny’s website within 48 hours of releasing the video. (WJS)
Why it matters: This is a prime example of how creating an engaging video generates interest and engagement which very quickly turns into sales.
8. We typically visit 5 websites when looking to buy a product or service. When there is video on a website, the number of websites visited decreases to just 2. (Agent Image)
Why it matters: Video helps to reduce the friction between potential businesses to buy from and means that the consumer has a shorter list of who to buy from, making their online purchasing experience much more user friendly.
9. 76% of people respond to videos that are included in emails. (Social Sprout)
Why it matters: Videos can help to convince potential customers that your website and your products and services are worth looking into.
10. 72% of people watch videos on YouTube and Vimeo (PEW Centre)
Why it matters: Content distributor such as YouTube and Vimeo will help to get your content out there into the big wode world.
When it comes to video marekting, it’s important to remember that you can’t cut corners. Video marketing isn’t magic. It takes time and energy to ensure that your business is showcased in front of your desired audience.